- Install, administer, and maintain your Raspberry Pi
- Explore a new world of computing with this low cost, credit-card sized computer
- Connect your Raspberry Pi to other devices on local networks and utilise IoT services
With increasing interest in Maker Projects and the Internet of Things (IoT), students, scientists, and hobbyists are using the Raspberry Pi as a reliable, inexpensive platform to connect local devices to Internet services.
This book begins with recipes that are essential to installing the Raspberry Pi and configuring it for network access. Then it continues with recipes on installing common networking services such as firewalls and file sharing.
The final chapters include recipes for network monitoring, streaming data from the Raspberry Pi to IoT services, and using clusters of Raspberry Pis to store and analyze large volumes of data.
What you will learn
- Install, update, and upgrade your Raspberry PI
- Configure a firewall to protect your Raspberry Pi and other devices on your local area network
- Set up file sharing, remote access, a web server, and your own wiki
- Create a wireless access point and use it as an Internet gateway
- Stream video, audio, and local device data to IoT services as well as your own websites
- Control devices connected to the Raspberry Pi from your phone via the web
- Create a giant video wall using multiple monitors and Raspberry Pis
Rick Golden, in the summer of 1972, sat in the computer lab at SUNY Fredonia and completed his first CAI tutorial on programming in APL. He was 9 years old then.
He has been programming computers for over 40 years. He has designed and developed a multitude of projects, from low-level graphics and database drivers to large-volume e-commerce platforms.
At work, Rick is currently focused on developing software to improve healthcare by mining petabytes of healthcare claims to find opportunities to improve healthcare coordination. After work, Rick teaches 10-14 year olds how to program using Raspberry Pi computers.
Table of Contents
- Installation and Setup
- File Sharing
- Advanced Networking
- IoT – Internet of Things